Today I felt honored to have Mr. Chinen come to our class. I was not sure what to expect, and Mr. Chinen indeed had a lot to tell. He seems like a very nice man and he is certainly adept at interpreting music. It was very interesting listening him delve into the secrets of new songs. Yet... I felt that sometimes he dove a little too deep into the meanings, and other times I just flat out disagreed with him (though I would never say so). Most of the time however, as I saw in the disection of Rihanna's Russian Roulette, he was very insightful and pointed out many details that I had not noticed prior. It also seemed at times that we were not studying the songs so much as we were studying the artists.
Mr. Chinen did have some very interesting pieces information from which to learn from. I learned from him that the atist and the art is very much intertwined, and that the art, when made to represent the artist, does not necessarily portray the artist. Perhaps the insight is a bit deep for me, for while I see the inspiration, I do not always believe in what Mr. Chinen said. Mr. chinen's visit was very interesting, and I am gald he came. I wish he could have spent more time with us to more thorough;y explain his ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Spencer, I think it's just fine to disagree with someone--anyone--who puts forth an idea. Im sure Mr. Chinen would have both appreciated and respected your alternate opinions.
ReplyDeleteI do think we combined a lot of different texts here: the songs, the artists, the surrounding musical and gendered culture. He hit a lot of bases. I also wish we had more time with him. Thanks for your honesty and critical thinking.