I enjoyed Like Water for Chocolate. Laura Esquivel is an extremely talented author. I am enthralled, and amused comically, at the mass amounts of themes and motifs. It makes discussion simpler, when in other books themes are more hidden and confusing. I am always a fan of the cookbook side of the story, in part because I am a fan of food. The concept of the book, made in such a way, adds a unique touch to the book that I have never truly seen previously in literature.
I loved the actual story content of the book. The plot of the suppressed urges of the characters as well as the intricate love affairs are plot lines that many classmates and I can relate to & appreciate. The slightly episodic nature of the book ironically also helped the flow. Through this there was no continual drawl, but the book was not so episodic as to lack a central plot. I also thought that the ending was excellent. The way the death of Tita is portrayed, she does not seem to so much "die" as much as become fully happy. I am also glad that Esquivel killed off both Mama Elena and Rosaura, two hideous women who become clear protagonists. Even farther than these two, I enjoyed most of the diverse characters that Esquivel creates, such as the kind and fathely Dr. Brown as well as the always-aware, master cook Nacha.
I appreciate how Esquivel added a magical touch to the stories. The effects of the food always made the book interesting to read, from the lusty experience of Gertrudis to the tornado of chickens. These images helped me to understand, as well as extend, the themes and motifs of the book. Overall, this was on of the better assigned reading books that I have read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment