The story of little red riding hood is a normal fairy tale, made stranger by the article in Ms. magazine. When I first read the original story, I found no surprises - the ending was not very outlandish for an original fairytale. The interpretation was a whole different story. I would not have guessed the true intentions of the wolf in any circumstance - the story then seems truly creepy. The culture itself seems truly disturbing, in regards to what was deemed "acceptable". I can now more fully appreciate the moral stated at the end of the story.
The creation of alternate versions also interests me. The fact that the Grimm brothers would "tone it down" seems shocking to me, as I know them as writers who leave very little unwritten. However, from what the article relay's, Grimm's version may be a copy of the original version. This leads me to the question: why did Mr. Perrault choose to change the story so? I can only partially understand the motive of instilling children with a good moral message.
The influence and change in attitude toward the characters in this story is slightly comical. Degraded standards in society have worsened to the point that Riding Hood's predicament is one lusted after by many people. Who is to blame for this complete erosion of moral values? It is possible that Mr. Perrault got the idea correct, and that the story would serve to explain good moral standards in today's world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment