Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I have never been too excited when I hear the term summer reading. However, Persepolis was a surprising change. When I first opened the book and saw that it was illustrated, I though that I must have bought the wrong book. As it turned out, Persepolis was one of the most enjoyable summer reading books I've ever read. Satrapi does an excellent job of narration. Though she starts a bit into the story and works backwards, the first chapter helps to set the tone: comical yet saddening stories in a serious time. The book successfully evoked emotions as I read it. Satrapi is an excellent author with a great writing ability as well as a great ability to convey her story to her audience. This was not a book I felt the urge to put down, and finished it in less than a day (a record for a summer reading book).
I personally like epic books (as long as they are memorable). With Persepolis, each chapter is interesting enough to entice the reader into reading the next chapter. The best aspect about the book, however, is the main character, Marjane. Her childhood antics help to put the turmoil in Iran into perspective (notably that of a child). As an adult, her self-respect and indifference towards the highly abnormal rules of society make her a comical character who exposes the minor details of the Iranian world. While the story ends magnificently, I would like to find out what Marjane does after she leaves Iran.
I also find that the book opens many issues of interest. First, the book blames the western countries as sources for problems in the middle east. When I hear this, I immediately disagree, but what is written in the book lessens my ability to refute it. The book also shows one mindset of the people of Iran, in which they believe that "it (political situation) will get better". This is a mindset seen around the world, and those who do not have are those that hurt others. The book also expresses some interesting parallels between the western worlds and Iran - Islamic vs. Catholic schools and a wish of young people to be in another culture. Altogether I would call this one of the most well-written and enjoyable books I have ever read.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm glad you liked it--I did, too. Satrapi manages to comment on gender, race, ethnicity and culture while telling her story in a sensitive, often childlike way. Can't wait to hear your comments!

    ReplyDelete